[Ndn-interest] NDN-friendly Mobility solutions

Wentao Shang wentaoshang at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 13:46:44 PST 2015

On Fri Feb 20 2015 at 1:38:44 PM Mark Stapp <mjs at cisco.com> wrote:

> On 2/20/15 4:10 PM, Wentao Shang wrote:
> [...]
> >     I don't quite follow that remark about not having a routable name. if
> >     you can't be reached, if you don't have a routable name, then ... you
> >     can't be reached? I guess I expect that when an ndn host arrives on a
> >     network, it learns some routable name prefix - just as an IP host
> learns
> >     one or more addresses along with other necessary IP info from DHCP.
> >

> > This is true. But what if the producer wants to publish data under some
> > provider-independent identity while he is moving across networks? The
> > mobile device may be reachable via some local prefix but the data may be
> > under a different prefix. E.g., I always want to publish data under
> > /ucla/cs/wentao prefix while I'm moving from my office to my TWC
> > homenet, or even back to China...
> >
> > Wentao
> >

> I know folks throw that hypothetical out there, but ... what is this
> "data", exactly? if it's a skype call, we've sort of talked about how
> that might work. if it's flickr photos, or facebook stuff, that doesn't
> seem too different. if you want to put something else somewhere on the
> ucla network, accessible via a "ucla.edu" name prefix, that should work
> too, just as if you updated ucla-hosted wiki or redmine, instance. an
> issue there might be whose keys are involved, I guess - does ucla vouch
> for _you_ directly, with ucla credentials of some kind? or does ucla
> delegate some new credential to you, valid for some entire subtree of
> ucla namespace? or do you have your own "wentao" credential, something
> independent of ucla, that folks trust whether your stuff comes from
> ucla, facebook, skype, etc. ?

Yes. The main reason to use a fixed identity is to simplify the trust
model. Otherwise you either create a complicated trust model (which may not
be possible at all if your prefix in a foreign network is not permanent) or
get multiple certificates from different networks where you may publish
something...

Wentao