[Mini-NDN] [EXT]Re: Generate large amounts of video files traffic in Mini-NDN

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Jul 29 21:26:22 PDT 2021

Dear folks

Thanks for the mention.
Yes, I operate https://pushups.ndn.today , the largest video website on the
NDN network.
The server component is https://github.com/yoursunny/NDNts-video-server .

It is possible to connect a server into an NFD/YaNFD instance running in a
Mininet container.
Specifically, you'll want to make the server connect to the Unix socket of
NFD/YaNFD, by putting the Unix socket address in .env file, like this:
NDNTS_UPLINK=unix:///run/nfd.sock
It is unnecessary to obtain certificates in this setup.

The client component relies on Shaka Player, and it can only run in a real
browser.
It isn't possible to run the client in Mininet container.

@FAT32 on LowEndTalk community made a script that re-exports NDN network as
an HTTP server, and then calls youtube-dl to download a video.
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3236214/#Comment_3236214
You may be able to adapt his script so that it connects to an NFD/YaNFD
instance instead of the testbed, and then call youtube-dl in the same way.
However, the traffic pattern of video downloading differs from video
streaming.

Regarding ndnputhunks: one caveat of this app is that, it will buffer all
packets in memory. If you serve a 1GB file, it consumes more than 1GB RAM.
I have an alternative ndn6-file-server in
https://github.com/yoursunny/ndn6-tools .
It can serve a folder of files. It generates each packet on demand when an
Interest arrives, but does not buffer any packet. Thus, it's able to serve
files larger than your memory, but it's slower than ndnputchunks for
answering each Interest.
However, you can't write to the folder when ndn6-file-server is serving, or
the program could crash.

Yours, Junxiao