[Mini-NDN] Generate large amounts of video files traffic in Mini-NDN

Philipp Moll phmoll at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 29 17:11:19 PDT 2021

Hi Jiacheng,

Thanks for dropping a message. In MiniNDN, you can basically use any
headless NDN application you want. MiniNDN just starts the application
using a bash-command. But I think answering your question becomes easier
when knowing more details about what you want to achieve. Publishing and
retrieving large video files could be interpreted in many ways.

If you simply want to handle those large video files as large files, we
have tools like ndncatchunks and ndnputchunks to publish/consume files
from the file system:
https://github.com/named-data/ndn-tools/tree/master/tools/chunks

When you want to emulate something like Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over
MiniNDN, it might be good to use something like a DAS dataset that
already has pre-computed video-segments (here's one example dataset:
https://dash.itec.aau.at/dash-dataset/). To retrieve these segments, you
might use emulated video streaming clients that retrieve the
pre-computed segments based on some adaption logic..

Junxiao did some recent work on video streaming. He has streaming
publishers and clients available for TypeScript. See here:
https://github.com/yoursunny/NDNts-video

Without having tried, but since those are TypeScript clients, they
should also work in MiniNDN. At least the producer should run, and maybe
Junxiao also has a headless consumer that can be used with MiniNDN.

But as I said first, it really depends on what you want to do.

Best,
Philipp