[Mini-NDN] Emulations using Wifi

Saurab Dulal (sdulal) sdulal at memphis.edu
Sat Jul 17 11:48:28 PDT 2021

________________________________
From: Philipp Moll <phmoll at cs.ucla.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 7:42 PM
To: Saurab Dulal (sdulal) <sdulal at memphis.edu>; mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu <mini-ndn at lists.cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: [Mini-NDN] Emulations using Wifi

Hi Saurab,

without having tried the code, I am impressed by what is supported! Thanks a lot for sharing the information.

I looked through the different wifi code-pieces and there are still some missing links where I don't know yet how everything works together.

I guess the wifi_ping examples should be started with the singleap-topology.conf<https://github.com/named-data/mini-ndn/blob/master/topologies/wifi/singleap-topology.conf>. This configuration defines one access point and two stations. But it also defines links connecting the stations with the AP. I guess those are the Wifi links that underlie some propagation loss model, right?

And in the wifi_ping example, faces are created directly between the two stations (Lines 67-69: "a" opens the face to the IP address of "b"). So, my understanding of multicast faces is limited, but is it possible that both stations open a "Wifi-face" that hears everything what is sent over the AP's wifi? Eg., when having 10 stations, every station only needs to open a Wifi face and hears all other stations that are within the current range.

- The example only demonstrates the working of wifi, unfortunately not the multicast. Yes, it is possible to achieve what you are asking. Every station just needs to create a route to the desired prefix via the multicast face face-id. And that is it.

I guess when doing a MANET evaluation, such a behavior would be very helpful. Or maybe I am just thinking overly complex.

Thanks,
Philipp