[Mini-NDN] Mini-NDN dependency issue on Ubuntu 18.04

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sat Aug 14 16:01:17 PDT 2021

Dear folks

I'm trying to setup Mini-NDN (revision
578f2ec695e6918f86f2837068c1f66d2ccf26c3) on Ubuntu 18.04 following the
guide in docs/install.rst , and I noticed two dependency issues.
I'm using a Utah Emulab d710 PC with system image urn:publicid:IDN+
emulab.net+image+emulab-ops:UBUNTU18-64-STD.

ImportError: No module named mn_wifi.cli
The command given for "install without CCL" is: ./install.sh -mni
I added -q flag for automated installation, which completed without errors.
However, Mini-NDN installed with this command is unusable:
sjx at n:~/mini-ndn$ sudo python examples/mnndn.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "examples/mnndn.py", line 27, in <module>
    from minindn.util import MiniNDNCLI
  File "/users/sjx/mini-ndn/minindn/util.py", line 30, in <module>
    from mn_wifi.cli import CLI as CLI_wifi
ImportError: No module named mn_wifi.cli

It seems that Mininet-WiFi is a required dependency of Mini-NDN,
intentionally or not.
If it should have been an optional dependency, the runtime scripts should
have necessary checks.
If it should have been a required dependency, the documentation and script
should be revised.

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnl-route-3
I also tried the quiet installation command: ./install.sh -qa
The installation completes, and basic verification passes.
However, there's an error in the console output:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnl-route-3
Makefile:1882: recipe for target 'wpa_supplicant' failed
make: *** [wpa_supplicant] Error 1

If I install the libnl-route-3-dev package before installing Mini-NDN, the
installation would succeed without the above error.
Please add it to the script.

cp: cannot stat 'topologies/minindn.testbed.conf': No such file or directory
Another error is:
cp: cannot stat 'topologies/minindn.testbed.conf': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat 'topologies/current-testbed.conf': No such file or directory
These files no longer exist but are referenced in install.sh.