[Mini-NDN] Richer experiment example

Ashlesh Gawande (agawande) agawande at memphis.edu
Wed Dec 21 12:39:09 PST 2016

You can issue any command available in the system on a node.

If you have your own application that is not installed in the system you can give the whole path to the application,

For example:

for node in net.hosts:

    if node.name == "nodename":

        node.cmd("/path/to/myapp options > /dev/null &")

Metric collection can be done by redirecting output of applications.

If you want metric collection from NFD or NLSR you will have to turn on logging (modules can be specified in

the nfd.conf file at /usr/local/etc/ndn/nfd.conf or if this is not present at: /usr/local/etc/ndn/nfd.conf.sample).

Or collect ndndump such as:

for host in net.hosts:
    for intf in host.intfNames():
          ndnDumpOutputFile = "dump.%s" % intf
          host.cmd("sudo ndndump -i %s > %s &" % (intf, ndnDumpOutputFile))  # can specify any  filter with -f option

Emulation is in the sense that multiple instances of NFD and NLSR are being run in real time.

Currently richer documentation is not available but Mini-NDN is based on Mininet which has a good documentation for the python API: https://github.com/mininet/mininet/wiki/Documentation

Ashlesh