[Nfd-dev] [EXT]Re: Try NDNCERT (based on Interest-Data exchange) and get an NDN certificate today

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sun Jan 10 12:53:58 PST 2021

Hi Davide

> > FinalBlockId field missing in CA profile
> > The protocol requires that the CA profile is versioned and segmented,
> and must be compatible with RDR protocol.
> > This requirement implies that the last segment of the CA profile must
> carry a FinalBlockId field that contains a value equaling the last
> component.
> > However, the CA profile packet does not have this field.
>
> While I agree that including FinalBlockId would be preferable, I don't
> remember this being a hard requirement. Where does the spec say that
> FinalBlockId is mandatory?

The requirement on having FinalBlockId in CA profile packet is not directly
specified in NDNCERT 0.3 protocol, but inherited from naming convention and
RDR specs. CA profile is a segmented object, and the NDNCERT 0.3 protocol
says it must be retrievable using RDR protocol. To order to be retrievable
with an RDR-compliant fetcher (e.g. ndncatchunks), the last segment needs
to have FinalBlockId.

> I guess a related question is whether "CA" is considered a well-known
> name component used by the NDNCERT protocol and therefore used by all
> instances (and if so, why not "ndncert" instead of "CA"?), or if it's
> just a deployment/configuration decision that could differ per site.

I'd consider "8=CA" to be a well-known keyword.