[Nfd-dev] two different approaches to routing sealability

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 6 18:44:43 PST 2020

I mentioned about this during today's call: routing scalability is an old research topic, almost as old as IP itself.
from 1000 feet abstract level: the problem there resembles what we discussed here: map a location to some kind of "identifier" (the analogy stops here, as IP identifies a node, while in NDN it is data name).
Below are some references for people who are not familiar with these old topics: these two are the main outcome from the routing research group started in 2007 (some of us here had another solution that took the first approach but a diff design, but we dropped out from RRG when NDN started)

1/ this first one provides the mapping at IP layer
"The Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)"
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6830

2/ this one provides the mapping outside the forwarding plane itself (via DNS)
"Identifier-Locator Network Protocol (ILNP) Architectural Description"
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6740.txt

FYI.