[Nfd-dev] Issue in running NDN using OpenWrt

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 13 06:44:30 PST 2020

Hi Xiaohui

Running NFD on OpenWrt router is same as running NFD on any other machine:
you need the config file, among other initial configuration steps
<https://named-data.net/doc/NFD/current/INSTALL.html#initial-configuration>.

But there must be an easier way!

   1. Install the nfd-service
   <https://github.com/yoursunny/OpenWrt-packages/tree/master/named-data/nfd-service>
   package.
   2. Launch NFD with command: service nfd start
   This will automatically create necessary certificates and generate
   nfd.conf from UCI config /etc/config/nfd
   3. Format of UCI config is undocumented. It's not recommended to modify
   it directly, because some options are not working properly. Consider using
   the LuCI method below.

If you have LuCI, you can even monitor and configure NFD on a graphical
interface.
This feature was developed at 9th NDN hackathon
<https://github.com/9th-ndn-hackathon/NFD-LuCI>.

   1. Install nfd-luci
   <https://github.com/yoursunny/OpenWrt-packages/tree/master/named-data/nfd-luci>
   package.
   2. In *Network - NFD* menu, you can configure NFD parameters including
   faces and FIB entries.
   3. In *System - Startup* menu, you can start or stop NFD service.
   4. In *Status - NDN* menu, you can monitor NFD status including global
   and face counters.

Currently, modified NFD parameters in *Network - NFD* menu cannot reliably
apply to running NFD instance. It's recommended to manually restart NFD
service in  *System - Startup* menu after changing NFD parameters.

Yours, Junxiao