[Nfd-dev] [EXT] Signature Verification on NFD for NDN-Packet

Susmit Shannigrahi sshannigrahi at tntech.edu
Fri Dec 4 09:07:24 PST 2020

Hi Junxiao,

I think another way Davide suggested is to import the keys (cert-dump
and import) into the machine where the forwarder is (we have access to
all the nodes).

Then the question becomes how to access the default keychain from inside
the forwarder.

Susmit

On 12/4/20 11:01 AM, Junxiao Shi via Nfd-dev wrote:

> *External Email Warning*
>
> *This email originated from outside the university. Please use caution
> when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to requests.*

> Hi Monokrishna
>
> The forwarder needs to retrieve the producer's certificate before they
> can validate the signature.
> Certificate retrieval is asynchronous because it relies on
> Interest-Data exchange.
>
> You can pass the Data packet that requires validation to a separate
> thread in the forwarder, retrieve certificate and perform validation
> there, and pass the Data packet and validation result back to the
> forwarding thread for re-processing.
>
> Yours, Junxiao
>
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020, 11:28 Monikrishna Roy via Nfd-dev
> <nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu <mailto:nfd-dev at lists.cs.ucla.edu>> wrote:
>
>     *External Email*
>
>     Hello Folks,
>
>     I want to use signature verification for data packet verification.
>     I used /#include<ndn-cxx/security/verification-helpers.//hpp>/
>     header file to do that.
>     The task I want to do is:
>
>          1. Set signature to data at Producer of NDN
>          2. Passing the data to NFD
>          3. Check the Signature at NFD-Forwarder on the
>             onIncomingData method.
>
>     The problem I am facing is:
>
>          1. When I want to get the public key for data I could not
>             able to get the NDN public key.
>          2. It's always generating a new public key.
>
>     I used the Producer of NDN-CXX to publishing data.
>
>     Snippets of the codes:
>
>         For the Producer,
>

>             for (const auto& data : m_store) {
>                 m_keyChain.sign(*data, m_options.signingInfo);
>               }
>

>         For NFD-Forwarder,
>
>             ndn::KeyChain keyChain;
>               auto pubkey =
>             keyChain.getPib().getDefaultIdentity().getDefaultKey();
>               bool res = ndn::security::verifySignature(data, pubkey);
>

>     Here, the public key for both keyChain is differents. I need to
>     use the same public key for both. How can I use the public key of
>     Producer in NFD-forwarder?
>
>     Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
>
>     Best Regards,
>     Monikrishna Roy

Susmit Shannigrahi
Assistant Professor of Computer Science