[Nfd-dev] Using Forwarding Hints

Philipp Moll philipp.moll at itec.aau.at
Thu Oct 17 06:02:34 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I wonder if there there is any documentation about using ForwardingHints
available? I think I got an idea how everything works by checking out
the NFD implementation, but some details are still unclear. Is there
additional documentation besides the code?

In the NFD code, I saw that the forwarding hint is used by forwarding
strategies and stripped by the forwarder when the Interest has reached
the ProducerRegion. I also found that the NetworkRegionTable stores the
ProducerRegions of the node. It seems that ProducerRegions can be
configured statically in the ndf.conf file. Is the nfd.conf file the
only possibility to configure ProducerRegions, or is it possible to
change it via nfdc as well? Also, when using NLSR, are the
ProducerRegions advertised, or not?

If there is any additional documentation, or examples available, I would
appreciate to get some pointers. So far, I only found the hint that
"Specifics of the forwarding logic for Interests with ForwardingHint
will be defined in a separated document." on
http://named-data.net/doc/NDN-packet-spec/current/interest.html , but no
separated document.

Thanks,
Philipp