[Nfd-dev] Try NDNCERT (based on Interest-Data exchange) and get an NDN certificate today

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Tue Nov 5 14:25:29 PST 2019

Hi Zhiyi

Sorry. but to be honest, I don't know why the client will have invalid last
> component. (my clinet code simply runs setApplicationParameter(), no more
> function calls).

I guess it's because I'm running the client from your personal repo
<https://github.com/Zhiyi-Zhang/ndncert>, designed to work with
ndn-cxx-0.6.6, which does not append ParametersDigestSha256Component.
However, my other program appends ParametersDigestSha256Component properly,
and I have verified against latest ndn-cxx that the digest is correct.

> Regarding the CA does not reply, I guess it may be the JSON format problem
> (if you generate the JSON on your own)?  I recalled in last hackathon, Alex
> met the similar issue. They said some weird newlines are added to the JSON
> file generated by the BOOST library.

According to RFC8259 section 2
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8259#section-2>,

Insignificant whitespace is allowed before or after any of the
six structural characters.

Therefore, it's not wrong to add "weird newlines", as they will be ignored
by a decoder.

ApplicationParameters element (including T,L,V) is:

0000   24 1f 7b 22 65 6d 61 69 6c 22 3a 22 53 75 73 65   $.{"email":"Suse
0010   6e 74 65 72 40 64 61 79 72 65 70 2e 63 6f 6d 22   nter at dayrep.com"
0020   7d                                                }

The JSON payload is handwritten. It is not generated by BOOST library.

Interpreting the TLV-VALUE using RFC8259
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8259>, we can see that it represents a JSON
object that contains a key "email".

As specified in NDNCERT protocol:

JSON format: The format depends on the probe of the configuration file. As
an example, if we have "probe":"email:full-name", then the JSON file
carried in the PROBE Interest will contains two attributes: email and
full-name.

As seen in /ndn/edu/ucla/yufeng/CA/_PROBE/INFO packet (frame 5 in packet
sample
<https://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/nfd-dev/2019-November/003861.html>),
the CA expects PROBE parameters to have "email" key.
Therefore, I believe my Interest satisfies the schema shown on the protocol
page.