[Nfd-dev] Wondering about NFD on Windows...

Davide Pesavento davidepesa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 22:19:37 PST 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:39 PM Davide Pesavento <davidepesa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:02 PM Gusev, Peter <peter at remap.ucla.edu> wrote:
> >
> > - if I have an app outside WSL that tries to connect to NFD locally, will it fail? (i guess it will, since there should be an issue with connecting over Unix socket which is non-existent on win64). what could be the steps to make this app work with NFD (connect over udp/tcp to localhost)? will I also need to port NDN libraries to windows?
>
> I read somewhere that Windows is adding Unix socket support (not sure
> when).

It looks like AF_UNIX support is already widely available in recent
builds of Windows 10,
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2018/02/07/windowswsl-interop-with-af_unix/

However, one important limitation is that "A WSL Unix socket can only
communicate with a Win32 Unix socket OR with a WSL Unix socket, but
not both."
In the case of NFD, since the RIB management thread needs the Unix
socket, this implies that the socket cannot be exposed to native
Windows apps.

Davide