[Nfd-dev] NDNLPv2 and NDN-RIOT L2 fragmentation

Davide Pesavento davidepesa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 08:46:19 PST 2019

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:20 AM Lixia Zhang <lixia at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2019, at 11:52 AM, Zhiyi Zhang <zhiyi at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> I would agree with Junxiao.
> NDN-LITE's fragmentation protocol follows the design in NDN-RIOT made by Wentao.
> The ideal solution is to make NDN-LITE compatible with NDNLPv2.
>
> Best,
> Zhiyi
>

> 1/ I didn't realize that NDNLP has this hard-coded seq# field -- this is really not IoT friendly.  Why not TLV?

Let me try to clarify. The NDNLPv2 "Sequence" field *is* a TLV
element, but its value is a fixed 8 bytes, not a variable-length
nonNegativeInteger. In addition to the Sequence field, NDNLPv2
fragmentation also uses the FragIndex and FragCount TLV elements, both
of which have nonNegativeInteger values.

I do agree that this encoding is not IoT friendly at all, especially
for low-MTU links.

Davide