[Nfd-dev] NFD Ethernet faces and PrivilegeHelper

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sat Mar 31 19:22:52 PDT 2018

Dear folks

Just to give an update.

> NDN testbed router seems to be able to create Ethernet faces with no
> > problem, but they have disabled privilege dropping altogether.
> >
> > What's the recommended method to enable Ethernet faces for a PPA package
> > deployment? Am I supposed to disable privilege dropping as well? If so,
> > should this be configured in PPA's nfd.conf?
>
> I don't know about the PPA's configuration file, but the original
> nfd.conf.sample says that for Ethernet faces you either need to be
> root or set the appropriate file capabilities on the nfd binary.

I’ve reported PPA bug https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4565
This isn’t an NFD bug, because nfd.conf has made it clear that *setcap* or
root is required.

The workaround is deleting ‘general.uid’ and ‘general.gid’ keys in
nfd.conf, so that NFD always runs as root. I’ve tested it doesn’t cause
problem with keychain file ownership.