[Nfd-dev] Best Route strategy doesn't work over ethernet multicast?

Lan Wang (lanwang) lanwang at memphis.edu
Wed Mar 28 07:15:25 PDT 2018

Nick,

Best-route switches routes only in response to consumer retransmissions.  It does not measure the forwarding plane performance of the different faces and switch to the best one.  The best here means the best in routing cost (whatever routing ranks the best).  This is the reason why best-route won’t work when we have hyperbolic routing enabled, as hyperbolic routing may rank a suboptimal route (not the best in actual RTT) better than routes with shorter RTTs.   We cannot simply follow the best routing cost, so we introduced the ASF (adaptive SRTT-based forwarding) strategy which sends periodic probing interests to measure the RTT of routes with lower ranking.  You can find more details about ASF in our technical report:

An Experimental Investigation of Hyperbolic Routing with a Smart Forwarding Plane in NDN<https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0042-1-asf/>.
Vince Lehman, Ashlesh Gawande, Rodrigo Aldecoa, Dmitri Krioukov, Beichuan Zhang, Lixia Zhang, and Lan Wang.
NDN, Technical Report NDN-0042.
https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-0042-1-asf/

Lan