[Nfd-dev] Creating multiple VMs with NFD quickly

Gusev, Peter peter at remap.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 13 17:31:01 PDT 2018

Hi Junxiao,

Question: Why do you choose to install ndn-cxx, NFD, and ndn-tools from source code, as opposed from PPA repository?

To have latest build, and three previous versions - 0.6.1, 0.6.0 and 0.51

Suggestion: If you are building from source code, you can use Docker multi-stage build to reduce the size of the final image. Although you have a "cleanup" step, the intermediate layers would still contain the compilers etc. See my Dockerfile for an example on how to use multi-stage build: https://github.com/yoursunny/docker-nfd-build/blob/f999f3fa38a3c3f229471282b482338a1cabd177/Dockerfile

that’s helpful, I’ll look into this. This might be very useful for reducing ndnrtc image which is due to webrtc grows large

Question: With your Docker image and "ndndn", is it possible to connect to NFD via Unix sockets, or are the connections UDP/TCP only?

this will require some additional effort. I think, nfd.sock file shall be exposed (mounted) to the host machine in a specific place in the filesystem (is it /var/run/ ?). not sure how this will affect other applications using this directory on the host machine.
there also might be something else, like ~/.ndn folder that needs to be mounted, too.

Suggestion: If you can get Unix sockets working, you can build a separate Docker image for each NDN application, such as "nfd" "ndnping-client" "ndnping-server" "ndnrtc-consumer" "ndnrtc-producer”.

oh I see what you mean. Yes this is possible through using virtual volumes. I will consider doing this.

Thanks!

Yours, Junxiao