[Nfd-dev] A problem about ethernet unicast

FIXED-TERM Tan Andong (CR/AEX1) fixed-term.Andong.Tan at de.bosch.com
Mon Sep 25 06:54:56 PDT 2017

Hallo all,
thank you very much for all the contributions that you have made for NFD and NDN!
I am currently working on a setup (two Ubuntu machines connected via Ethernet) to execute the NFD without IP and I am facing  some problems when trying to execute the NFD using Ethernet unicast.
I configured NFD (using the configuration file) just to use ether faces for multicast communication (disabled TCP and UDP) -> and there were no problems to communicate with other NFD instances in my network. But in my scenario, I just want to use unicast by connecting multiple NFD instances together manually. So I used the nfdc tool to create a new ether face using the address of my other system.

I started NDN using "sudo nfd start"
When I try to use "nfdc face create ether://[98:de:d0:1c:d1:46]"
The nfdc tool promts the following error message:
Error 604 when creating face: unsupported protocol

When I configured the NFDs using multicast, I can see from the logs, that there were faces created in the scheme of "ether://[MULTICAST-MAC]". It is just not working by using nfdc to add a new face for using unicast.
My machines are running Ubuntu 16.04 and I am using NFD version 0.5.
Can anybody give me some hints what I am missing, please? Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Andong Tan