[Nfd-dev] Possibility to create unicast face inside forwarding strategy

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Nov 27 05:11:03 PST 2017

Hi Mahyuddin

I need your opinion about enabling forwarding strategy to create face. At
> least unicast face (raw ethernet or udp) for dynamic unicast face features
> in my NDN based MANET solution.
>

> 1. What is the possible dirty hack way to enable it?

Do not look for or use "dirty hack way". The harm of doing so is described
on https://yoursunny.com/t/2017/academic-papers/ "program quality" section.

AFAIK, to create face, it is part of NFD management protocol API. Is that
> possible to access that API just like face-module.cpp in NFD tools?

No, because forwarding plane is not an application. It cannot send packets
to itself.

2. Or is there any better way to implement it?

The better way is to avoid the program in the first place.
A face is a generalization of an interface. Therefore, an Ethernet face
shall support both multicast and unicast on the same physical interface.
NFD currently implements Ethernet unicast like tunnel, which is wrong.
You may achieve unicasting by implementing
https://redmine.named-data.net/issues/4283 . I heard from last NFD call
that NFD team is planning to reject this issue, but I believe this is the
right way to go.