[Nfd-dev] NameTree entries

Dehart, John jdd at wustl.edu
Sun May 7 09:28:01 PDT 2017

On May 7, 2017, at 11:10 AM, Alex Afanasyev <aa at CS.UCLA.EDU<mailto:aa at CS.UCLA.EDU>> wrote:

On May 7, 2017, at 8:11 AM, Dehart, John <jdd at wustl.edu<mailto:jdd at wustl.edu>> wrote:

All:

We are trying to understand the counts we are seeing for nfd.

Here is an example:

$ nfdc status show
General NFD status:
               nfdId=/localhost/daemons/nfd/KEY/ksk-1406565352119/ID-CERT
             version=0.5.1
           startTime=20170427T154254.108000
         currentTime=20170507T143222.354000
              uptime=859768 seconds
    nNameTreeEntries=266
         nFibEntries=92
         nPitEntries=23
nMeasurementsEntries=35
          nCsEntries=65536
        nInInterests=27355618
       nOutInterests=25550645
            nInDatas=21674464
           nOutDatas=21640052
            nInNacks=60463
           nOutNacks=1667426

What is the relationship between nNameTreeEntries, nFibEntries, nPitEntries and nMeasurementEntries?
Why is nNameTreeEntries greater than the sum of the other three? Is there something else using
NameTreeEntries or are there more than one entry for each of the other entries?

NameTree is a container for FIB, PIT, and Measurements table, so its size is superset.  In addition to that, NameTree is a tree, so it may have a few more intermediate nodes that are not associated with neither of tables.

OK, I see.

We also have an extreme example:

     nNameTreeEntries=1673990
           nFibEntries=3
           nPitEntries=167400
  nMeasurementsEntries=0
            nCsEntries=252277

where there are on the order of 10 times more name tree entries than PIT entries.

Does that make sense?

John

John