[Nfd-dev] <Question>Difference between NFD and NDN router

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 17 12:04:16 PDT 2017

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 11:52 AM, Henry Yeh <y2t01075187 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm studying NDN now, and I want to ask the difference between NFD and NDN router.
>
> The point is that I think routers are NDN routers is due to the fact that they run NFD on them, but the following two documents make me confused.
>
> Page 13 of this tutorial <https://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1-ndn-overview.pdf> describes the Interest will check Content Store first when it enters NDN routers.

yes conceptually one should check CS firs to see whether there is a match data packet there.

> However, the technical report <https://named-data.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NFD-developer-guide.pdf> of NFD describes the Interest will be inserted into PIT first and then check content store.

2 clarification points:

1/ upon receiving an interest, NFD checks PIT first to see whether it is a looping interest (not inserting into PIT), or whether the same request has been made already.

2/ if not, then look up CS.
I believe this is just an implementation optimization (CS lookup is perhaps a bit more expensive)