[Nfd-dev] [Ndn-interest] [ndn-cxx][mini-NDN][General] Printing some information

Alex Afanasyev aa at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Sep 12 13:11:33 PDT 2016

> On Sep 12, 2016, at 7:13 AM, bertolin at eurecom.fr wrote:
>
> Good morning at all and thank you again for the help that I am receiving by your community.
> I spent some time, without success, in trying to print the following information (I am working in miniNDN:
>
> 1) The Content of the Data.
> If I print the packet, I obtain:
> Name: /mat/try/normandie/%FC%00%05%3CO%E0%D0%FC%D7
> MetaInfo: ContentType: 0, FreshnessPeriod: 10000 milliseconds
> Content: (size: 6)
> Signature: (type: 1, value_length: 256)
>
> So I manage to play with the blocks and the buffers, but the documentation is not really verbose. However, I though to write:
>
> 	void onData(const Interest& interest, const Data& data) {
> 		log << "Data received correctly" << std::endl;
> 		log << data << endl;
>
> 		//take block
> 		ndn::Block x = data.getContent();
>
> 		//take buffer
> 		shared_ptr<const Buffer> buffer = x.getBuffer();

You should never use this one.  This one gets the internal buffer.

> 		//take string
> 		std::string content((char*)buffer.get(), 6);
> 		log << content << endl;
> 	}
>
> But on my log file I obtained just not-printable random characters! Where did I wrong?

std::string value(data.getContent().value_begin(), data.getContent().value_end());
// or if the above fails, std::string value((char*)data.getContent().value(), data.getContent().value_size());

> 2) the PIT table of a node. I did not find any with nfd-status and other commands. Is it possible in principle ?

Yes. For now, we don't have visualization of PIT.  In principle it is possible, just need definition of what should be the output format and making the implementation.