[Nfd-dev] Troubleshooting interest path

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 7 22:23:51 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have a simple topology like this:

[cid:image001.png at 01D20956.828F9110]

Where NFD1 is the forwarder for /ndn/edu/ucla and NFD2 is the forwarder for the subnamespace /ndn/edu/ucla/jburke/golem.

I am using ndnputfile to store information in the repo and then trying to retrieve it from the consumer. Retrieval times out for the consumer node but not for things directly connected to NFD2, as one would hope.

I doubt my problem is complicated.  But in trying to figure out why this doesn’t work, I am curious what the state-of-the-art is for tracing Interest/Data exchange?  If I want to see whether an Interest expressed by Consumer hits the Repo, is my only solution to watch the logs in NFD2 (or for anything potentially in the path, in a larger example), keep track of which face Repo corresponds to and see if things are forwarded?     Repo-ng doesn’t seem to say/log much itself.. but more generally the question here is about whether there are techniques to do Interest/Data packet tracing without manually- or custom- instrumenting each potential node in the path(s).

Thanks,
Jeff