[Nfd-dev] Help needed with debugging duplicate Nonce

Lan Wang (lanwang) lanwang at memphis.edu
Tue Jul 12 09:28:44 PDT 2016

Junxiao,

On Jul 11, 2016, at 8:13 PM, Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu<mailto:shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu>> wrote:

Hi Lan

When forwarder receives a Nack from face A, it records on the PIT out-record of face A that a Nack has been received, and triggers the strategy. In case Data comes from face A in the future, this Data would still be accepted.
When strategy instructs forwarder to send a Nack to face B, it removes the PIT in-record of face B. In case the PIT entry is later satisfied by Data, face B would not receive a copy of this Data.

The above highlighted part is the problem.  Since the in-record of face B is removed after sending the Nack, any Sync data packet generated by ChronoSync cannot be delivered to the neighbor on face B.  The neighbor would wait for the sync period to expire and resend the next Sync Interest to receive the data.  This is the major problem caused by the duplicate Nacks (not just pure message overhead).

To make ChronoSync work in the general case, we should design for the situation where /localhop is not used, even if there might be a workaround with /localhop.

Yes, we hope for a general solution (the forwarding plane should not generate these unnecessary Nacks).  If this is not possible, then we have to resort to a custom solution e.g. /localhop, as I said before.

Lan

Yours, Junxiao