[Nfd-dev] What is a "region" ?

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Feb 24 08:35:33 PST 2016

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 8:16 AM, Burke, Jeff <jburke at remap.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the explanation...!
>

>> Let me try a simple explanation:
>> 1/ a LINK is to get an interest to the place where the name in the interest can be used directly for lookup
>> 2/ routers do FIB lookup using LINK first (if interest carries one), until the interest reaches the place (so called "region") where its name is in the FIB, then the router will do look up using the interest name
>

> (Just to double-check - what's the "its" here?)

its=the interest

>> 3/ a router decides whether the LINK has finished its job by comparing LINK with its own name: if the LINK is either its prefix or an exact match to the name, then the LINK is no longer needed.
>

> Not sure I follow – why should the router care whether the LINK name has anything to do with its name, shouldn't it only care if it can forward based on the Interest name or not?  (And, I guess, if it is "responsible" the LINK prefix?)

the router should first consider LINK

> I think I understand the basic idea but am confused about the introduction of the router's administrative identity into forwarding decisions.  Isn't the point simply that the Interest reaches a router that is 1) sufficiently "responsible" for the LINK prefix that it can ignore it and 2) capable of forwarding the Interest name itself?   I guess this is the point of the regions list – to define responsibility?

it is much less of "responsibility" per se, but the interest needs to reach a place where the name in the interest can be use used for forwarding.

> (Also, if I am correct, the word 'region' seems to unnecessarily imply a perimeter / geographic boundary rather than a capability.  I wonder if it is the right term.)

not sure what you meant by "capability".
the issue here is whether the name carried in the interest can match anything in the FIB

> To use a specific example:
>
> When an Interest with LINK /com/microsoft/healthvault reaches a router /com/microsoft/routers/us/west/foo/47 at the edge of its AS, that router could have a region entry for "/com/microsoft/healthvault" and directly forward "/org/openmhealth" appropriately.

I did not follow how the above: where is this "/org/openmhealth"?

step up a level: there seems some conceptual cross talk here. Maybe best we get together with a whiteboard rather than using this ineffective email