[Nfd-dev] Add a section to NFD config file for automatic prefix propagation

YANBIAO LI lybmath at g.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 23 18:53:38 PDT 2015

This automatic prefix propagation feature is proposed to propagate prefix
from a end host to its connected gateway router. But the gateway router can
also propagate prefixes out based on the same mechanism, as long as this
feature is configured to be enabled on the router as well.

The underlaying mechanism is simple as well. We monitor insertions and
deletions of the RIB, once a RIB prefix was inserted, it may trigger a
propagation (there are some simple rules to determine whether a RIB prefix
can trigger necessary propagation). Then, we query the local KeyChain for
singing identities that are authorized to sign registration commands of
prefixes of the RIB prefix. If no proper signing identity can be found,
there will be no prefix propagated to the router. Otherwise, for
aggregation, we propagate the shortest prefix (of the RIB prefix), whose
registration command can be signed by an existing identity, to the router.
While the corresponding identity is used to sign the registration command.

A pre-condition is that there must be a entry (i.e., /localhop/nfd) in the
local RIB that indicates the connectivity to the router. Then the
registration commands for propagations are formatted under that prefix and
can be forwarded to the router according to that RIB entry. Otherwise, all
necessary propagations are suspended to wait for a active connectivity.

Above are very high-level ideas. For more details, please review the TR
later, which I think will be out soon.

Thanks,

Yanbiao