[Nfd-dev] NFD call 20151013

christian.tschudin at unibas.ch christian.tschudin at unibas.ch
Tue Oct 13 11:20:15 PDT 2015

> Link: cache poisoning after forwarded Interest with multiple distinct Link
> objects

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend this phone call. A few
thoughts through this channel on the above topic:

I hope that we agree that LINK is useful. Adding the LINK object to the
returned data (as proposed on Redmine) might by a possible patch, but
the issue merits a larger discussion.

First, note that this "poisoning" is not a poisoning if E is a legit
node also serving the requested content.

Returnig also the LINK object just postpones the decision whether
one should trust the returned data (or use excludes, probably to be
extended to LINKs, in a second attempt).

The bigger picture is that this is "in-network name rewritting", and
somehow the routing (e.g. knowing about E's status) has to be involved.

Even more general, this falls into the class of critique that I often
hear for named functions: how do you trust the result? (Name rewritting
is also a computation - the LINK names that function, so to speak.
Moreover, structurally this is identical on how we tunnel named-function
expressions through NDN).

One perhaps more broader plan would be to create a subset of trustworthy
routers, only those being allowed to do the rewriting and having to sign
(with a cheap hmac) their result. They also would be obliged to keep a
log of their rewrittings. If there is suspicion on a cheating rewriter,
one can ask proof of correct behavior. This would attempt to rescue the
goal that rewriting/redirection is a network internal business (starting
with the magical insertion of the LINK) and which does not have to
involve the clients.

best, christian