[Nfd-dev] Why don't additional routes impact performance?

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.UCLA.EDU
Sun Mar 29 09:21:31 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am running some tests with ndncon and am curious about the following:

Steps to reproduce:

- Start ndncon publisher with route through REMAP node.
- On consumer node,
- Restart nfd
- Use nfdc to register udp route for / through university of basel
- Start consumer and observe performance (audio dropouts due to jitter buffer issues)
- While ndncon is running, use nfdc to register udp route for / through REMAP, CAIDA, or another closer hub
- No change in performance at the consumer and no change in traffic flow on ndnmap... why?
- Quit ndncon and restart
- Still no change

This behavior is not intuitive.  I would expect that by default NFD would be issuing interests to both faces, and/or that it would be probing performance new faces become available for a given route.    Does a different strategy need to be used to get this behavior?

On the consumer, I am running the latest version of NFD cloned from github this morning, with a default configuration (I think).

Thanks!
Jeff