[Nfd-dev] How to start a certificate chain from scratch

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 20 20:41:41 PDT 2015

Hi Jiewen

This laptop has ndns installed from ppa:named-data/ppa.
I found the configuration in /etc/ndns.
It's somewhat inconsistent for ndns to put its configuration in /etc/ndns,
while all other programs (such as NFD, NLSR, etc) put their configuration
in /etc/ndn.
There is no example in /etc/ndns/log4cxx.properties or
/etc/ndns/log4cxx.properties.sample for how to append logs to a file.

I notice that while `sudo service ndns restart` reports success, there's no
ndns process.
sunny at sunnyq ~ $ sudo service ndns restart
stop: Unknown instance:
ndns start/running, process 11515
sunny at sunnyq ~ $ ps aux | grep ndns
sunny    11566  0.0  0.0  13416   932 pts/7    S+   20:36   0:00 grep
--colour=auto ndns

Running ndns-daemon in console: the process exits automatically. No daemon
process is forked. Nothing is printed to stdout or stderr.
sunny at sunnyq ~ $ sudo ndns-daemon -c /etc/ndns/ndns.conf
sunny at sunnyq ~ $ ps aux | grep ndns
sunny    11682  0.0  0.0  13416   932 pts/7    S+   20:36   0:00 grep
--colour=auto ndns
Running in gdb shows that the process exited normally. There's no crash.

Is there something wrong with the PPA package?

Yours, Junxiao