[Nfd-dev] Behavior of "on demand" faces to applications

Burke, Jeff jburke at remap.UCLA.EDU
Fri Mar 13 16:13:22 PDT 2015

Hi folks,

Could you please confirm the default behavior of "on-demand" face creation for applications?

My understanding:  The face created by default when an application registers a prefix is "on demand", meaning it can be destroyed by NFD if inactive for some timeout period.

This behavior has caused some troubleshooting challenges with a long-running publisher and occasionally interested consumers.

Some questions:

- Where is this behavior documented? It is mentioned in p10 of the developer's guide, but I can't find either the constant or configuration parameter that sets it.

- Is it the case that on-demand faces will not be destroyed if any traffic has traversed them?  Or just that no traffic has traversed during the timeout interval?

- What is the appropriate way to create a face that persists until the process that created it is either destroyed or unregistered the prefix?

Thank you,
Jeff