[Nfd-dev] Signed Interest processing: alternate to stop-and-wait

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Mon Feb 23 15:07:04 PST 2015

> On Feb 23, 2015, at 9:50 AM, Mark Stapp <mjs at cisco.com> wrote:
>
> I'm sorry - I'm not following how this can be a realistic problem. if you have an application that serializes its commands, then ... each command _must_ have some serial number associated with it, yes? that sort of _must_ be monotonic, so that a receiver can determine whether a gap has appeared. a timestamp is not a substitute for a monotonic counter, because the receiver cannot detect a gap immediately. if an incoming message introduces a gap, the application (or a parameter to the security library) needs to determine whether that message can be processed immediately, as if it were idempotent. otherwise, there will out-of-order processing if any messages are reordered. if "green" is message #3 and it arrives before the receiver has seen "red" (#2), then the receiver can't just apply #3, that would be just ... wrong.

The use case for the signed interests wasn't to support arbitrary sequences of the commands.  It was rather to support a spurious commands that are send out from time to time, generated by a distributed set of commanders.  In this case, sequence number doesn't always make sense, as it can be unknown for the commander.

When multiple control actions need to be performed, use of (signed) interests is not, in my opinion, appropriate.  In this case, it make sense to send a control command that initiates fetching of a sequence of control commands, which, given they are explicitly requested by the control unit, can be properly ordered and executed in a proper order.  In this protocol, there is no need for any kind of timestamp, because commands are requested, not unsolicitedly received.

---
Alex