[Nfd-dev] NDN Link Layer (2.5) Retransmissions

Beichuan Zhang bzhang at cs.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Feb 19 06:13:15 PST 2015

On Feb 19, 2015, at 6:23 AM, Klaus Schneider <klaus.schneider at uni-bamberg.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> while reading a redmine discussion
> (http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/1999) I found the idea to
> introduce a NDN link layer (2.5) to perform retransmissions below the
> strategy layer.
>
>> Updated by Alex Afanasyev about 1 month ago
>>
>> As I remember, the way to address link problems was to introduce a
>> limited recovery inside the link (2.5) layer. This layer will do
>> retransmissions much more efficiently and quicker than usually coarse
>> RTO estimation (the initial value is 1 second).
>
> I find this concept very interesting. However, I didn't find much about this on the web.
>
> Can you tell me the current state of these ideas?

There is a design and implementation in NFD for the 2.5 layer, but it currently doesn’t have the retransmission part.
http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/nfd/wiki/NDNLP-TLV. We just started the redesign of this 2.5 layer including limited loss recovery. This may take a while to get fully designed and implemented in NFD.

Beichuan