[Nfd-dev] strategy specific parameters

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 13 16:10:17 PDT 2015

Hi Klaus

20150413 conference call discussed this proposal.

This proposal is a subset of #2000 composable strategy building blocks
<http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/2000>.
With #2000, an operator can not only pass parameters to a strategy, but
also create new strategies. Both can happen at runtime.
Passing parameters is just a special case of creating new strategies: take
an existing strategy, and give it new parameters.

I believe having strategy parameters is a good direction toward #2000.
I agree with Alex that parameters should be carried in the Name after the
version component, at the management protocol
<http://redmine.named-data.net/projects/nfd/wiki/StrategyChoice> level.
At command line tool level, however, I prefer to accept ccndc syntax as
well: operator can either specify parameters as part of the strategy Name,
or in separate command line options.

I disagree with the use case that broadcast strategy generates new Nonces
for outgoing Interests, because it can cause persistent Interest loop in #1953
scenario <http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/1953>.

Yours, Junxiao