[Nfd-dev] Name component format

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Mar 22 13:13:49 PDT 2014

On Mar 22, 2014, at 10:58 AM, "Burke, Jeff" <jburke at remap.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are a few changes to the representation of names in the TLV spec (http://named-data.net/doc/NDN-TLV/0.2/name.html)  that I am not sure have been widely discussed.  In particular, the introduction of types (beyond distinguishing the implicit digest), an updated URI representation, and the inability to specify empty name components.
>
> Are these considered "baked"? Would it be possible to discuss these at some point in more detail?

Hi Jeff,

the changes were made after some discussions among the NFD team, then with Van.
Not sure what you meant by "considered baked". . .
- I do not think the changes made to the NFD release-1.
- we are doing explorative research, right?

Of course all naming issues can benefit from more discussions.
- wonder if you would like to propose a specific time frame (i.e. next week, or longer term)?
- it would be helpful if there are some inputs/reading/considerations over email before the call, so that people can think through first.

> Among other things, typing components unless required by the protocol (as seems to be the case with the implicit hash) seems to run counter to the notion of name opaqueness, and there are some conflicts in the URI representation that need to be resolved.

For any URI issues: Please let Alex and Junxiao know.

for component typing: are you saying that we should allow name component typing?
In any case, as soon as we can collect a list of technical questions, I can try scheduling a discussion.

Lixia