[Nfd-dev] config file installing

Alex Afanasyev alexander.afanasyev at ucla.edu
Wed Mar 12 11:30:59 PDT 2014

I have a question regarding http://redmine.named-data.net/issues/1332.

In particular, what is generally accepted way to work with installing configuration files during 'sudo make install' ('sudo ./waf install').  In redmine issue I put that we should check if config file exist and create it if it doesn't and don't do anything if file exists.  But now I have some reservations whether this is correct approach or not.

I know for sure that all package managers (macports, debian deb, freebsdf) have internal tools to work with configuration files, they will do all the check and (in debian and freebsd) present user a dialog to overwrite, keep, or merge config.  I'm kind of hesitant to re-implement this function in wscript.

There could be two alternative ways
- don't install config and ensure that nfd when started without config file will use default values for everything
- overwrite default config file during ./waf install

What should we do?

---