[ndnSIM] [EXT] A question about ndn examples testing

Sirapop Theeranantachai sirapop741 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 00:41:56 PDT 2024

Hi Yitong,

Let me explain briefly about what is happening during the installation.
ndnSIM is an external module for ns-3. When you run the installation
script, it pulls a patched version of ns-3, and then place the actual
ndnSIM module inside ns-3 as /src/ndnSIM.

When you want to run something, you would want to run it in ns-3 (not in
the src folder). Normally, you wouldn't need to modify the wscript file if
you place your codes in the /scratch folder. According to the root wscript (
https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ns-3-dev/blob/1b3bab9b6dba5f1e616c0b286eb889e9ce3d5d59/wscript#L1034),
it will add files with extension ".cc".

If your code does not end with .cc, you should rename it. If your code base
is not a single file, you need create a folder inside /scratch to add your
program as a folder. If nothing works, let me know or try tinkering with
wscript. It's written in Python.

Good luck!
Mark

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024, 12:06 AM 李怿曈 Yitong LI <yitongli at hkust-gz.edu.cn>
wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks. But how to modify the “wscript” file, I haven’t found any demo for
> that.
>
> Cheers,
> Caster
>
> 2024年3月22日 下午12:26,Sirapop Theeranantachai <sirapop741 at gmail.com> 写道:
>
> 你通常不会收到来自 sirapop741 at gmail.com 的电子邮件。了解这一点为什么很重要
> <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
> Hi Yitong,
>
> You need to add an entry to the "wscript" file in the same directory you
> run ./waf. You can modify the script to make it either run on "/scratch" or
> "/examples".
>
> Best,
> Mark
>

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 8:14 PM 李怿曈 Yitong LI via ndnSIM <
> ndnsim at lists.cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Junxiao,
>>
>> I’m confused about which directory should I store my .cpp in order to run
>> it. I’ve tried putting them into "/scratch” and “/src/ndnSIM/examples”, my
>> program is named “non-first.cpp”. Then I use "./waf --run ndn-first” to run
>> it. An error shows that “program ’non-first’ not found;”
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Caster
>>
>> 2024年3月21日 下午5:00,Junxiao Shi <shijunxiao at arizona.edu> 写道:
>>
>> 你通常不会收到来自 shijunxiao at arizona.edu 的电子邮件。了解这一点为什么很重要
>> <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
>> Hi Yitong
>>
>> Try installing this package:
>> sudo apt install python-is-python3
>>
>> Yours, Junxiao
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024, 03:41 李怿曈 Yitong LI <yitongli at hkust-gz.edu.cn>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> *External Email*
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’ve installed ndn successfully using “./waf configure --disable-python
>>> --enable-examples” suggested in the documentation. When I tried running
>>> example using “./waf —run=ndn-simple”, it gave an error. It says
>>> “/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory”. I’ve exported the
>>> environment variable before.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Caster