[ndnSIM] Obtaining CS metrics

Alex Afanasyev aa at cs.fiu.edu
Sat Mar 5 15:12:37 PST 2022

> On Mar 5, 2022, at 6:02 PM, sai gautams via ndnSIM <ndnsim at lists.cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to obtain the CS metrics. I have installed the ndn::Cs Tracer on all my nodes and set a non-zero CS size for the nodes but the output .txt file is displaying Zeroes. I have found a mailing list where this question was asked previously. The solution provided is CS tracer doesn't support NFD's case which is beyond my understanding. Can anyone please help me in making me understand what exactly should I do? Thanks.

Well.. That tracer had limited functionality and was depending on legacy function of very old content store implementation (and wasn't very fast).  Cache "metrics" is quite broad term and there isn't really a fit-all solution.

It would be great if you can work on a replacement function in ndnSIM, we would be happy to merge your patches.

A few ideas.

Forwarder class has two signals:  "afterCsHit" and "afterCsMiss".  One way you can get metrics right away, is to simply attach your callback to a specific node's Fowarder and then capture whatever you need.

Another way is to export this signals to NS-3 native side into ndn::L3Protocol (model/ndn-l3-protocol.cpp). There are already a few signals converted to NS-3's TraceSources and you can try to follow the idea.   After that, you just need to create/update the tracer with the metrics of your choice and attach to NS-3's trace source, similar how other tracers are attached (or directly from the scenario, also a possibility).

-