[ndnSIM] [EXT] consumer's data forwarding capability

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 23 09:22:18 PDT 2021

Hi Sangita

A *consumer* is just an application and does not have caching capability.

A *consumer node* includes a forwarder and a consumer application.
The forwarder may cache Data packets.
If it receives an Interest that matches a cached Data packet, it may
respond to the Interest with that Data.
This works the same as any other forwarder.

In a wired network, there is generally no FIB entry pointing to the
consumer node, and hence no Interest would go there.
For the cache there to be useful, someone has to forward the Interest to
them.
In my dissertation http://hdl.handle.net/10150/625652 , Section 4.4.2
described one such mechanism to do so.

Yours, Junxiao