[ndnSIM] [EXT] Getting the origin of an Interest

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Fri May 14 14:23:30 PDT 2021

Hi Eric

It isn't possible for a forwarder to know the origin *node* of an Interest,
unless the consumer explicitly identifies itself as part of the Interest
name.
The forwarder can only know the incoming *face* of an Interest, which is
either the consumer node or another forwarder closer to the consumer.

This is a privacy property of the NDN network: it maintains that the
consumer would remain anonymous to network forwarders and producers, except
the forwarder directly adjacent to the consumer.
In comparison, an IP packet would always identify the origin node in the
source IP address field.

Yours, Junxiao