[ndnSIM] [EXT] Can we access ns3 packet tags in forwarder.cc

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 9 01:36:09 PDT 2021

Hi Sonia

This is impossible.
ns3::Packet is lost when BlockHeader copies its content into ndn::Block
class.
https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ndnSIM/blob/28da73c868ad7444dba7a754fb77a41f6ca7cb07/model/ndn-net-device-transport.cpp#L139
https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ndnSIM/blob/28da73c868ad7444dba7a754fb77a41f6ca7cb07/model/ndn-block-header.cpp#L106

A possible trick:
1. Make ndn::Block inherit from ndn::TagHost.
2. Define a ndn::Tag that contains ns3::PacketTagList.
3. Copy ns3 packet tags in BlockHeader when converting between ns3::Packet
and ndn::Block.
4. Preserve ndn::Tag when converting between ndn::Block and
Interest/Data/Nack in LinkService.

If you attempt this idea, be sure to let us know whether it works.

Yours, Junxiao