[ndnSIM] How to send periodic HELLO Interest with NFD/ndnSIM?

Md Ashiqur Rahman marahman at email.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 4 10:57:51 PST 2020

Hello All,

I’m trying to implement a periodic “HELLO” packet exchange in ndnSIM so
that the NFD in each node can remember/detect recent neighbors. Any
pointers or suggestions would be helpful. So far I could find this:
https://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/ndnsim/2015-January/001513.html.

To be more specific, I was thinking that any node’s NFD would have a
default Interest packet with /hello prefix and would periodically send this
interest, say each 1 second. This Interest would have an endpoint tag (I
can do this with ndn-cxx to create a new tag, so the wire encoding/decoding
is taken care of internally), so any node receiving a hello broadcast can
get the endpointID of the sender node. This means, the NFD itself would
create and send the HELLO Interest packet.

Best-
Ashiq

--
Md Ashiqur Rahman
Research Associate, Network Research Lab