[ndnSIM] Connecting ndnSIM to real devices (or Docker containers)

Dóka János doka at gsuite.tmit.bme.hu
Sun Apr 26 04:56:33 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I would like to connect two or more Docker containers with a simulated
network in ndnSIM. Or what would be better if I could connect two android
phones to ndnSIM and the communication between the phones would go through
the simulated network. Is it possible?
I manage to connect the containers with ndnSIM using tap interfaces (based
on this:
https://www.nsnam.org/doxygen/tap-csma-virtual-machine_8cc_source.html). I
connected one Docker container to NDN node A, and another to node B. I
installed NDN Forwarding Daemon on the containers and I added the mac
address of a node in ndnSIM as an NDN face (and a route) with "nfdc"
command. Then if I send NDNPing with this route, I see some traffic in
ndnSIM but only on csma NetDevice interfaces (created with tap interfaces),
but I can't forward this traffic to another ndnSIM node.
I will appreciate your help!

Best wishes,
Janos