[ndnSIM] Run ndnSIM

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sun Jul 21 03:52:28 PDT 2019

Hi Xinyu

> A Linux virtual machine is the best choice.
> If you insist on using Windows 10, you can try Windows Subsystem for Linux
> (Ubuntu or Debian distribution) as a virtual Ubuntu environment.
> I’m sure ndnSIM can run on it but if my memory is correct, there’re some
> commands different from running on a real Ubuntu machine.

WSL1 is a Linux userspace on top of Windows kernel. Commands and userspace
API are the same, but kernel API is different.
I got NFD working on WSL1 to some extent
https://yoursunny.com/t/2018/NFD-on-Windows-10-WSL/ .
ns-3 doesn't need special kernel functions, so it should work.

WSL2 is a Linux virtual machine, no different from VirtualBox etc.

One limitation is, neither version of WSL officially supports GUI, since
they are designed to run server type programs. Therefore, ns-3 visualizer
is unlikely to work.