[ndnSIM] MaxPackets in simulator

Spyridon (Spyros) Mastorakis mastorakis at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Jan 28 17:51:22 PST 2018

Hi,

> On Jan 26, 2018, at 5:59 PM, John Baugh <jpbaugh at umich.edu> wrote:
>
> ndnSIM friends,
>
> When the Configs are established in a scenario, what exactly does the MaxPackets do?  Does that control the number of packets any given node can handle without dropping them?

Yes, that is correct. Take a look here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ns-3-users/KFL0pckjEw4 <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ns-3-users/KFL0pckjEw4>
https://www.nsnam.org/doxygen/classns3_1_1_queue_3_01_packet_01_4.html <https://www.nsnam.org/doxygen/classns3_1_1_queue_3_01_packet_01_4.html>

> And, is there a rule of thumb for what that number should be?  Should it equal to consumer frequency for requests, or #consumers * consumerFrequency?  Etc.

I would just say that it should be large enough, so that the nodes do not drop packets, which would mess up your simulation results. Unless you would like to test whether the queue of the nodes can handle the received packets without dropping them, I would suggest that you use a large enough queue size.

Personal Website: http://cs.ucla.edu/~mastorakis/ <http://cs.ucla.edu/~mastorakis/>
Internet Research Laboratory
Computer Science Department