[ndnSIM] About Interest Timeout

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jan 13 06:59:08 PST 2018

> On Jan 10, 2018, at 4:32 PM, Adhy Satya <adhysatya820 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a few clarifications regarding Interest timeout.
>
> When a Consumer App sends out an Interest request it starts a timer, and the default RTO is 2 seconds (Interest Lifetime). If the Data does not come back within these two seconds, OnTimeout() is called. Does this RTO ever change? What is the default timeout strategy? EWMA?

hmm, the above sounds a bit odd to me if that's the current implementation: it seems a mix of two separate things into the RTO.

- Interest lifetime means how long the Interest is valid (so a forwarder removes an Interest from its PIT when lifetime expires)
- RTO should reflect the time that an outstanding Interest is probably lost based on the RTT measurement.

> The intermediate nodes then set the RetransmissionSuppresionInterval,

I recall from some discussion long long time age, a forwarder will forward a retransmitted Interest if a time period of RetransmissionSuppresionInterval has passed from the last transmission of the same interest.
This parameter is added to allow time-sensitive apps to retransmit an Interest quickly (well, the retransmitted Interest gets forwarded), but not too quickly (i.e. paced out by RetransmissionSuppresionInterval)