[ndnSIM] High memory usage

Spyridon (Spyros) Mastorakis mastorakis at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 7 09:48:29 PST 2017

Hi,

this is the trade-off of simulating real-code (NFD and ndn-cxx). High simulation fidelity comes at the cost of higher memory consumption.

We have extensively discussed our design choices and trade-offs, and we have evaluated various ndnSIM versions in our recently published paper:

https://ccronline.sigcomm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/sigcomm-ccr-final112-full-letter.pdf <https://ccronline.sigcomm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/sigcomm-ccr-final112-full-letter.pdf>

Also, the memory consumption of your screenshot refers to virtual rather than physical memory. I would suggest that you search for the difference between those 2 types of memory to better understand what they mean.

To get a better estimation of the physical memory consumption, I would suggest that you use this API:

https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ndnSIM/blob/master/utils/mem-usage.hpp <https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ndnSIM/blob/master/utils/mem-usage.hpp>

Personal Website: http://cs.ucla.edu/~mastorakis/ <http://cs.ucla.edu/~mastorakis/>
Internet Research Laboratory
Computer Science Department