[ndnSIM] New Ubuntu machine - new bizarre errors

John Baugh jpbaugh at umich.edu
Tue Jan 3 21:31:11 PST 2017

Alex,

Thanks for the response.  I'm finally tapping out and giving in.  I'm going
to try to do it with the template technique you recommended before.

Please let me know if I did this correctly, as the instructions are a
little bit vague in the README:

1.)  Since I already had installed ndnSIM using the instructions in Getting
Started on the main ndnSIM.net page, I don't have to perform another git
clone on ns-3-dev-ndnSIM.git or any of those files right?  It seems it's
just downloading a separate copy of ndnSIM to put in a separate directory.

*So, all I did per the instructions was a git clone on the
ndnSIM-scenario-template-git.*
2.)  I placed the downloaded branch (terminology might be off here) in
my-simulations, *which in turn I have inside the ndnSIM folder*.  So,
my-simulations is a directory that is a sibling directory of ns-3 and
pybindgen, all three being inside the top level ndnSIM folder.

*Is this correct / ok?*
3.)  I am very confused about the difference between the extensions and
scenarios directories.  I was under the impression I could put a
subdirectory under extensions named as my scenario, so I named a
subdirectory of extensions "jpb-strategy1-test", which contains
jpb-strategy1.cpp and a umd/ directory with some classes I'm using (they
worked fine with ndnSIM 2.1.)

*Is this correct?*
4.)  Now, it cannot find the scenario, regardless of whether its inside
extensions or scenarios.  Does a .cpp or .cc file have to be at the top
level or can I put a subdirectory?  I just want to remain organized.  I get
the following:

*jpbaugh at Janeway:~/ndnSIM/ns-3$ ./waf --run=jpb-strategy1-testWaf: Entering
directory `/home/jpbaugh/ndnSIM/ns-3/build'program 'jpb-strategy1-test' not
found; available programs are: ['subdir', 'scratch/subdir/subdir',
'scratch-simulator', 'scratch/scratch-simulator', 'test-runner',
'utils/test-runner', 'bench-simulator', 'utils/bench-simulator',
'bench-packets', 'utils/bench-packets', 'print-introspected-doxygen',
'utils/print-introspected-doxygen', 'tap-device-creator',
'src/fd-net-device/tap-device-creator', 'raw-sock-creator',
'src/fd-net-device/raw-sock-creator', 'tap-creator',
'src/tap-bridge/tap-creator']*

Thanks,

John