[ndnSIM] Name format

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 4 06:26:53 PST 2017

Hi John

My previous assumption was that the content names (e.g., as obtained from
> interest.getName(), say in onContentStoreMiss in the forwarder class) were
> numbers using hexadecimal from beyond the prefix, so /prefix/FE%01, 02, 03,
> 04, ......  etc.

Names are always binary. There are not ASCII or Unicode or numbers.

But I'm starting to realize some of the content names for larger content
> space items seem to be all over the place.  I've seen "t" and "q" and "N"
> in names, which are of course outside the hexadecimal range for sure.

Sequence numbers are encoded according to naming convention.

So, I suppose my question is:  is there any reasonably thorough
> documentation or information available to know the predictable format of
> names?

https://named-data.net/publications/techreports/ndn-tr-22-ndn-memo-naming-conventions/

So, if I'm using Zipf-Mandelbrot for example, I should think I'd be able to