[ndnSIM] Interest forwarding

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Mon Aug 28 04:25:14 PDT 2017

Hi Boussada

CCNx's AnswerOriginKind
<https://github.com/ProjectCCNx/ccnx/blob/ccnx-0.8.2/doc/technical/InterestMessage.txt#L119>does
not restrict which *user* (producer or cache) could answer an Interest. It
is a bitmask containing the following:

   - 1 = Answer from existing content store
   - 2 = Answers may be generated
   - 4 = Answer may be "stale"
   _hack_

When designing NDN protocol, we believed:

   - It is harmful to disallow answering from a Content Store, because (1)
   it can lead to attacks on a producer (2) it disallows localized recovery
   after a Data packet loss. Thus, bit 1 is unnecessary.
   - It is useless to disallow a producer from generating content, because
   the purpose of an Interest is to retrieve Data no matter where it came
   from. Thus, bit 2 is unnecessary.
   Use cases of checking Content Store only arose later on, but these use
   cases were only for checking local Content Store, so there were no need to
   standardize it in network wire format.
   - It is useful to allow stale content. Thus, bit 4 is necessary. This
   became the MustBeFresh selector.
   - It is unnecessary to standardize bit 16 because it is entirely within
   the local node.

Finally, AnswerOriginKind was shrunk into MustBeFresh selector.

Yours, Junxiao