[ndnSIM] ndnSIM - Producer problem

Junxiao Shi shijunxiao at email.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 20 16:51:57 PDT 2017

Hi Spyros & Marzieh

the consumer application does have a simplified retransmission mechanism
> based on timeouts:
>
> https://github.com/named-data-ndnSIM/ndnSIM/blob/73df9f587e1
> c16c4f67a0053fe29b68f523ff138/apps/ndn-consumer.cpp#L265
>
> Unfortunately, it is not clear to me why Junxiao mentioned that "This
> point is not correctly implemented in the consumer”. If he has found a bug
> there, he is welcome to push a patch on gerrit for us to review.

Retransmitting after InterestLifetime expires is already too late. At this
point, strategy may have deleted the measurements information. Consumer
retransmission should occur at estimated RTO, not InterestLifetime.
I did not read code. Based on the NFD logs given in
http://www.lists.cs.ucla.edu/pipermail/ndnsim/2017-August/004071.html ,
it's evident that consumer retransmission did not occur.

As I already mentioned, consumer retransmission is less likely to be
effective in this scenario than enabling link reliability, which will be
available in next ndnSIM release.

> Is there anything I could do in this stage to make it work? or should I
> just wait for the next release?
>
> And, may I ask when is the new release of ndnSIM going to be out?

I am not an ndnSIM developer nor do I control their release schedule. I'm
on this mailing list to answer questions related to NFD.
Based on past experience, a new NFD feature would show up in ndnSIM in
anywhere between 6 to 18 months. Be patient.